We do a lot of things in the name of "human rights." I intend to focus much of my energy into a "human rights" based career. Why do I keep putting them in quotations? Because I'm not sure that "human rights" even exist anymore. I'm not questioning the actions we take to promote human rights, or what has been accomplished as a result of their introduction to society, just the idea of rights. Really, human rights are a relatively new idea. They began with property rights in Medieval law, and then advanced to political rights in Western Europe, namely in France. The Declaration of Independence tells us we are "endowed by our Creator with certain unalienable rights," what many would call "natural rights." Basically, some people believe God gave us rights, while some would say we have them simply because we are human. Sounds pretty intuitive. Here's what gets me. Whether or not you believe in a God of any kind, you cannot even take your next breath for granted. Nothing is guaranteed. Where did we get the idea that we are entitled to anything? Even more, Jesus says that to find your life you have to lose it. Paul says that Jesus let go of his God-ness and "made himself nothing." Hmm. If Jesus knows what he's talking about in regard to life, truly living is not claiming as many rights for yourself as you can, but quite the opposite.
I will say this. Life is valuable. Murder, genocide, abortion...these things are ugly. The question I'm asking is, do I have the right to my life, or do others have the responsibility not to kill me? Christ followers have a responsibility to feed the poor, free the slaves, heal the sick, correct injustices. We are the rebuilders of broken places. And some 'rights' are legitimate needs, ie, food, shelter, clean water, protection... They are necessities for survival, but are they rights? And are they necessary for true life, wholeness, and freedom? Some of the happiest people are deprived of many things we consider 'rights.'
I could go a lot of other directions with this...and I will,
another day.
Here's a short thought; I hear the term "abortion rights" thrown around campus a lot. What happens when one human being's so-called rights, bump up against another human being's so-called rights? "Rights" are a tricky word and are not bestowed upon us by any government, but only by our creator :)
ReplyDeleteI agree...so-called "positive" rights can be easily manipulated. But, though God has told us our lives are of value, isn't everything we have a gift? He chooses to sustain us out of His love, not obligation.
ReplyDelete