I've neglected this blogging thing for most of the summer, because, frankly I haven't had a lot to say.
But, here we are on the cusp of a new school year with a few sweet summer days left to be enjoyed. Summer is a funny thing. In our minds, summer conjures feelings of reckless abandon, freedom from obligations, and unbridled exhilaration. When I think of summer, I daydream about laying out in the grass with a good book, playing tennis, roadtripping, running through fields of wildflowers, writing poetry, bonfires, and sipping iced tea. For some of us, it's a time to finally become all the things we try to be during the school year. Summer was these things. But it wasn't perfect, by any means. Summer can feel like more of a letdown than any other season because the expectations we place on it are so high, so idealistic, and usually unreachable. During the school year, it's a given that school will put a damper on things, no matter how great the rest of life is. But summer is that last bastion of childhood, carefree living.
So...as I'm processing the summer, I'm trying to resist the urge to label it "good" or "bad" or to compare it to summers past. Was it all I imagined it would be? Nope. Did I meet my own expectations? Not at all. But, did its serve its purpose? Only time will tell, but I'm starting to think yes...
I'll keep you posted as I process the last few months, and I'd encourage you to do the same, but I'm getting the impression that God was all over it in ways I have yet to fully comprehend. More to come.
No comments:
Post a Comment