The idea of calling has been heavily on my radar for the past few months. This search for an overarching, all-encompassing life purpose. Something worth living and dying for. A part to play in this bigger story we are all acting out. The funny thing is, though, the more I've searched for it outside myself, the more I've realized it's right in front of me. Or inside me.
It's a call to Jesus. From Jesus. He calls me to Himself. It's also a call to my neighbor, that is, whoever I cross paths with. My family, my friends, the cashier at the grocery store, fellow coffee-drinkers at Starbucks. My call is simply to love. I need no greater cause. Love is enough.
It's a call to Jesus. From Jesus. He calls me to Himself. It's also a call to my neighbor, that is, whoever I cross paths with. My family, my friends, the cashier at the grocery store, fellow coffee-drinkers at Starbucks. My call is simply to love. I need no greater cause. Love is enough.
But is it? I must admit, that there is so much of me that craves thrill and adventure. I want to be a heroine. To change the world. Which is precisely what the early Church did. But it wasn't because they set out to start a revolution. The ever-quotable C. S. Lewis said, "You can’t get second things by putting them first. You get second things only by putting first things first.” Paul, Peter, John...they were simply men consumed with Jesus Himself. It just so happened that as they followed His lead some radical things happened.
Culture says we have to create our own meaning, write our own story, leave our mark on the world. The odd thing about Jesus is that He calls me to let go of all of those things, to trust that the Story He is writing is far greater than anything that I could conceive. He calls me to be a supporting actress rather than the lead. To just be His friend and walk through life moment by moment. Which is actually incredibly freeing. Upside-down, backwards, yes. But it's simple. More simple than trying to make a life for myself.
A call to Jesus. A call to People. For the cause of Love. Can it be enough?
No comments:
Post a Comment