I'm about to make an honest confession. Not that I'm not usually honest. But anyway, here goes.
I'm tired of being an activist.
I'm not tired of hearing the stories of countless men and women oppressed daily.
I'm not tired of being heartbroken over the sadness that surrounds me.
I'm not tired of striving to do more.
I'm just over social justice as a means to feel good about ourselves.
I don't want to be about a cause.
I don't want to be about creating a ruckus.
People need to know about other people. People should love other people.
I want to be about people.
I want to be about love.
But I can't make love happen for anyone else.
I believe love is poured out when we give of ourselves, without getting a bracelet or trendy tee in return.
I believe love is poured out when we cry out to God on behalf of the oppressed.
I believe love is poured out when we choose to die to ourselves.
I believe true love comes from God.
I don't believe that mere awareness and activism bring about change.
Change happens one person at a time.
One person being healed.
And that person choosing to live beyond himself.
This is the gift of life Jesus offers. Real life.
I wanna give life.
Friends, I'm not sure what else to say. I will fight for justice, because it's who I am and its the calling I've been given. I just want to be in the heat of the battle NOW.
And maybe now, that's doing little things. And believing that Jesus is the solution to a dying world. That whoever we are, by allowing ourselves to be transformed from the inside out...we are doing an act of social justice (thanks, Don Miller). We are turning this world right side up again.
No comments:
Post a Comment