Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Power of Half

This article by Nicholas Kristof struck me...especially after hearing a sermon about giving on Sunday.

I don't think the point is that everyone needs to sell their house and give half of the money away, but I think we should all ask ourselves if we could. Things are not wrong in and of themselves, but are we so attached to our comfortable lives that we can't see the needs of people around us?

I've found myself complaining about everything today...it's too cold out, I have to put too many clothes on. I have too much to do. I don't have enough time for myself. I can't concentrate through three hours of school. I have to walk across campus too many times.

Let's look at the facts: I HAVE more than enough winter clothes to keep warm. I have the luxury of an apartment (a roof over my head) with HEAT. I am getting a college EDUCATION. I have LEGS to walk. I get to share life with wonderful people over a good cup of coffee that costs WAY too much. I am pursuing DREAMS. I am going to ENJOY the music of a world-renowned pianist.

I don't own a house, but I'm going to take a look at my life. What can I cut in half? My coffee habit? Eating out? Can I buy groceries more economically? How about my whining?

Sure, I'd like to work on my spending habits to give more away. But mostly, I want a heart that's the giving sort. The thankful sort. One of contentment. Because I am blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment