Saturday, August 13, 2011

Remember

Being back in Iowa has been more than a "sentimental journey." When I had to move away from this place as an eighth grader, I was convinced that my life was over and that my parents were the meanest parents ever. I thought I already had the best life possible.

And while I'm not kicking and screaming going to Colorado, (quite the opposite really,) there's still a tiny part of me that says to God, "are You sure You can top BG?" Because, in all reality, the last few years have been mindblowingly awesome. But this time, I believe He's saying YES. I can do more than you can ask or imagine. Just you wait.

And I believe it because this week, He has given me small reminders of how He surpassed all of my expectations in NW Ohio. Reminders that He never left me alone, but provided me with community, purpose, and joy. Spending an evening with dear friends around the fire, finally having Kermit's with the Erica Reese, getting coffee with Amanda, catching up with my high school choir director, celebrating my sis's 20th birthday, Dreya stopping by, and so many hugs and prayers from so many beloved friends before leaving... AND I get to come back here to Iowa and reconnect with old friends, no longer 13 year olds but beautiful women all pursuing the Lord and His purposes for their lives! All these good things in spite of my stubbornness and refusal to trust Him.

I can relate to the Israelites. I, too, am forgetful. I, too, need constant reminders of who God is. I have to practice remembering.


"If you say in your heart, 'These nations are greater than I. How can I dispossess them?" you shall not be afraid of them but you shall remember what the Lord your God did to Pharaoh and to all Egypt and to all Egypt, the great trials that your eyes saw, the signs, the wonders, the mighty hand, and the outstretched arm, by which the Lord your God brought you out. So will the Lord your God do to all the peoples of whom you are afraid." (Deuteronomy 7:17-19, ESV)


He will do what He has done before. He can do the same. And more.


A few looks from the night...

Anna and I remember having tea parties and stringing froot loops on necklaces as three-year-olds. Then we grew up playing tennis and going to church together. She became a sweet encouraging friend as we shared life in a middle school girls small group...



I've known Courtney since 1st grade... we were playground buddies, and play-doh buddies, and just best friends. I've admired the woman Court has become and it was such an honor to be a part of her wedding to a wonderful man, Charles :)



No comments:

Post a Comment