Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Come Thou Fount


Come Thou Fount of every blessing
Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Streams of mercy, never ceasing
Call for songs of loudest praise
Teach me some melodious sonnet
Sung by flaming tongues above
Praise the mount, I'm fixed upon it
Mount of Thy redeeming love

Here I raise mine Ebenezer
Hither by Thy help I've come
Jesus sought me when a stranger
Wandering from the fold of God
He to rescue me from danger
Interposed His precious blood

O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I'm constrained to be
Let Thy goodness like a fetter
Bind my wandering heart to Thee

Prone to wander, Lord I feel it
Prone to leave the God I love
Here's my heart, O take and seal it
Seal it for Thy courts above.


This has been one of my favorite, if not favorite, hymns. I had it sung at my baptism and it has traveled with me ever since.
I think I love it so much because, regardless of where I am, I find something to grab hold of in it.

For a long while, it was always the third stanza...and at the point I finally awakened to the Spirit-filled life, I thought I was fixed upon that mount of redeeming love for good. Little did I know, it's not so easy to stay on the mountaintop. More than ever, I feel myself prone to wander, but more than ever, I feel deep gratitude when I look back at all the Ebenezers, and more than ever, I believe in the power of God's redeeming love.

It's admitting that I can't walk through this life alone, that I can't pay Jesus back for what He's done, that I don't even have adequate words to thank him. It's asking Him to be my Rabbi, to teach me how to love God with my whole heart, because I don't have it in me.

And it's the gospel summed up in a few beautiful words...Jesus sought me, while a stranger, wandering from the fold of God. He to rescue me from danger, interposed His precious blood. And I will gladly be indebted to His abundant grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment